Let the Mom Encourager Speak with your group!



Check out my speaking calendar
and topics for your group at

Get a Daily Dose of
Mom Encouragement
Sometimes funny,
sometimes spiritually challenging -
always encouraging.



Friday, December 9, 2011

I'm Having a Hard Time Getting My Jingle On


Despite being surrounded by Christmas décor since October and the constant holiday songs playing on the radio for the last week – I’m having a hard time getting my Jingle on this year.

We’ve done all the same things as usual.  The house is decorated, the tree is up and trimmed, the stockings are hung by the chimney with care, and the front yard twinkles each night.  I feel like I’m putting on a good show this season.  I’m doing all the right things, but that festive spirit has not filled me like in years past. 

It’s not our schedule; it’s lighter right now than before Thanksgiving.  It’s not spiritual; we attend church, enjoy Advent preparation, and spend time reflecting on why we celebrate Christmas in the first place.

My husband and I both have birthdays in the days leading up to Christmas, as well.  It’s usually so festive and exciting and filled with much anticipation. This year, I honestly feel like we’ve just clicked and shipped the holidays to our home.

While I’m not sure what’s missing or if I just need an attitude adjustment, I do plan to bask in the wonder my children exude.  As they open each window on their Advent calendar and hang each Nativity ornament, I will pause.  I hope in that moment, the expectation of the season will catch fire for me.

In the meantime, there are only 14 days until the big day.  Merry Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment